Monday, March 28, 2011

The Kindergarten Blues Shirt

I was inspired by an art project I taught my kindergarten students recently.  My little five year old artists learned that a tint is created when white is added to a color and a shade is created when black is added.  Obviously, we experimented with tints and shades using the color blue.  I love blue.


We also collaged all sorts of blue things on our blue paintings while listening to the blues.  The finished paintings were really beautiful.   I was reminded of a quote that I read somewhere (and I can't remember where now) that what kids know about art, grown artists struggle to find.  It's so true.  I'm often in awe of the art they create.  I mounted the blue paintings on orange paper and hung them out in the hallway.  When I went home, sitting right on top of my fabric stash was a blue polka dot shirting and a bright orange broadcloth.  Off to the side was a little scrap of stripey orange vintage fabric I found at Goodwill.  I knew I had to combine the three.


I decided I wanted to make a shirt- in fact, a shirt I could wear to work.  I chose Vogue 7700 because I love the detail at the back on version C.  And it kind of reminds me of a smock.  Perfect for an art room.

The polka dot shirting is a cotton blend.   I used an orange broadcloth for the collar band and the vintage stripey scrap of fabric for the yoke facing.  All of the top stitching is done with bright orange thread.  The buttons are a light peachy color, though I used two bright orange buttons on the cuffs.  (I ended up unpicking and replacing the button placket in case you were wondering about my earlier fiasco.)   I took time to do everything right.  I'm really proud of the craftsmanship.  I even tried blockfusing the collar and cuffs after reading Sherry's post, which definitely helps with accuracy.  Technically, this shirt is nice.  In theory,  I should really love it.


It's okay.  I really like the back.  I like all the top stitching.  Something is not quite right with the collar, though.  It stands a bit too high.  Or maybe the orange is too much.  I may take off the collar completely and just leave the band.   And overall the shape is a little too boxy for me, though I knew it would be this way when I started.  Maybe I just need to figure out what to pair it with.  




*********************************************************

  
Would you like to make your own kindergarten blue painting?
Here are the details:
Kindergarten artists learned that a tint is made by adding white to a color and a shade is made by adding black.  We spent one day painting, discovering tints and shades.  On another day, we cut shapes from all sorts of blue papers and glued them to our blue paintings.  We even used a tiny bit of blue glitter -only reserved for special occasions.   And yes, we listened to the blues, too (the Delta Blues station on Pandora). 

15 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you saved it! It looks very cute - the shape is great with tight pants, and the orange looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope my little girl gets a teacher like you when she goes to school. I like how you rode the inspiration and I'm thinking how much your skills have changed since you started blogging. Great work.

    I'd pair the shirt with exactly what you're already wearing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the complimentary colours, and I agree with Steph, my kids should be so lucky.

    How would the shirt look with a wide, high belt?

    (I'm also a fan of round collars, so I'd probably go that way, but that's mostly my own bias ;) )

    What a great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That shirt is so nice! The orange striped yoke makes all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a LOVELY story about the inspiration and thanks for telling us about tint and shade, too. What a fabulous job to have. I think the shirt makes a great weekend outfit and I love the contrast facings. I will have to learn about - what did you call it? - block fusing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. boxy shirts are so comfortable, I'm sure you'll start to love it more because of that. But I know what you mean about feeling a little meh, maybe a belt or just rolling up the sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this shirt...great fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it looks great and paired with some tight jeans or leggings will be a great match. The finish is gorgeous, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the shirt is fabulous, and the orange topstitching looks great! As you go into a northern summer, it would look lovely with a shorter white/ivory skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the shirt very much. There is something "peaceful" about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shirt. I do like the artsy smokiness of it. Great collages too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like this shirt! The stripy yoke facing would make me happy every time I wore it! I'll have to settle for it making me happy every time you wear it.

    I like the shirt with the pants you are wearing in the picture, but I might try a belt if you want some shape--I wider thicker belt.

    Very pretty--and I love the polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the compliments, everyone!

    I'm liking it a little more. I'm going to take off the collar and see if I like it better. And Carolyn, I think you spot on about a short ivory skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know I'm a little late to post a comment. I really like this shirt, and the orange is a good match. I think the collar is fine the way it is and it suits you well... maybe the sleeves are a tad too long. (This would be nice in a short sleeve version, too).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am waaaayyy late on this, but I love this shirt! I think I would have made the sleeves 3/4 length. I love the playfulness of a 3/4 length sleeve, especially when one is going to be "artsy".

    ReplyDelete