Tuesday, October 22, 2013

One More Tee

Just another Scout tee.  I thought this one deserved a post, though a short one.  This past Saturday, J went out to run some errands, baby Jane went down for a nap and I found myself with two whole hours to sew.  It was awesome.  I finished this Scout tee that's been sitting on my ironing board unfinished since I made my first round of Scout tees.  I also started baby Jane's Halloween costume.  It's safe to say that it will be something very cute :)


Anyway, this tee.  This is another knit Scout.  I can't say enough good things about this pattern.  It's the perfect swingy tee, but fitted through the shoulders.  I did one modification to the pattern on my last knit version (my white tee).  I took some width out of the front piece only.  Maybe 3/4 of an inch to an inch.  So the front piece is noticeably narrower than the back.  In this version it's only the lace yoke that has the modified width.  I'm thinking that this is a modification I should make all the time.  I have a broad upper back which throws off shoulder fit in a lot of things.  Taking some width out of the front piece made the shoulders fit better and the neckline sit just right.
 

This tee is made from two different fabrics.  The striped knit actually began life as a dress I bought shortly after giving birth.  It was stretchy and had an elastic waist.  It was perfect for post baby.  I wore it once, washed it and it shrank to an indecent length.  Darn rayon jersey.  So I threw it in my refashion pile since I liked the striped jersey so much.  The tee is extra swingy because I used the skirt portion of the dress almost as is.  I did cut up the sides and resew the seams because the stripes didn't match on the dress (!).  Now they do.  The dress had a high low hem which I kept.  I promise I'll stop making things high low soon although I like a hem like this on a top because it covers my butt.  I'm always late on the trend bandwagon anyway.   I think the shorter hem in the front keeps this top from being really unflattering with all the width  The yoke on the tee is a stretch lace from the stash.  I drew a line on the paper pattern where I wanted the yoke to be and added seam allowances.  I didn't want to mess with hemming the lace so I used strips of jersey to bind the sleeves and the neckline.


And that's that!  It's my new favorite tee.  It's about time to put the Scout pattern to rest for a little while (six versions so far!) but I actually have one more version in the pipeline.  One more, then I'll stop.  It's just an awesome, awesome tee shirt pattern.

21 comments:

  1. Love the stripes mixed with the lace on top! And love the fact you went and corrected the stripes so they matched on the side seams, hehe! Looks stylish and comfy at the same time -a winning combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! You should definitely make more, who cares that this is your 6th one...if it works for your lifestyle, sew it! Especially because it looks so good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look fabulous! And, what a great shirt. I agree with Carolyn, keep the Scouts coming if you want. Whatever keeps you sewing and happy and comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very neat T. I had a smile at your stripe matching - I think people who sew care about that kind of thing far more than your average shopper! I'm glad you found a pattern you enjoy. I'm the same - if I really like a pattern and it's fairly quick and fun to make, I will make several. Nothing wrong with that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty - I can understand why you like this pattern so much :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! The stripes and lace are a great combination, made even better by the lace looking a bit like polka dots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the contrast yoke. i need a million scout tees, but sadly i've only made it once... must change that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I love this! It's so cute on you! I really like it with the high-low hem-- I think I need to give that a try (the normal style looks pretty boxy on me).

    ReplyDelete
  9. The lace yoke makes this tee look so pretty! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect tee!! Lovely combo of fabrics. And I'm pretty sure you can NEVER have too many of these types of tops - or just Scouts in general! It's a great pattern! I love seeing all your variations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks terrific! great use of the dress fabric; def too good to waste! I really like the high low look too. All your scout tees have been great :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this tee! The combination of lace and stripes is fantastic. You can't have too many scouts, it's too good of a pattern for that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty! I've been admiring lace-yoke tops lately (well, for about the last year, I guess).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the lace yoke! I've wanted to try something similar on my knit peplum top pattern but I've been worried about what it will do to my shoulders. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The two fabrics are really pretty together and phew! I'm glad you now have matching stripes (:

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your shirt looks so comfortable and really cute! Did you need to stabilize the jersey where it meets the lace on the bodice? I've been working on 2 shirts using Maria Denmark's Kirsten Kimono T pattern. One is all the same fabric (poly-rayon rib knit) and the other uses the same knit and a contrast lace top. The first fits great, but the one with the seam fits weird: saggy and bigger where the fabrics meet. I really hate using clear elastic, but I don't know if stay tape would be enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, sorry for the delayed reply! I did not use anything to stabilize the jersey/lace seam. The lace I used is really not very stretchy. And then the jersey is super duper stretchy. So it seems to work without it. I did stitch some clear elastic in the shoulder seams, though. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  17. Love stripes! Always love stripes! Nice to see you've squeezed in a bit of sewing time. The mother/full-time work thing is a crazy busy gig isn't it! Slowly, slowly I'm managing to squeeze a bit more in too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh nice! I really like the fabric used for the upper portion, makes the whole thing a bit more formal and dressy.

    ReplyDelete